Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Kea Farm Green Cow Area News

Green Cow residents demand A-G drop charges against three who obstructed developer
By Joseph Sipalan
Tuesday March 6, 2012 MYT 11:50:00 AM

PUTRAJAYA: Residents of Green Cow in Cameron Highlands are demanding that the Attorney-General drop charges against three people who obstructed earth works in their hillside village.

Some 30 residents of Green Cow and PSM members claimed the earth works were illegal and endangered the lives of seven families.

They also claimed victimisation by the police in arresting the trio as there were allegedly no permits issued to the developers.

The residents handed over a memorandum to the Attorney-General's office here Tuesday.

PSM Cameron Highlands secretary Suresh Kumar Balasubramaniam said nine police officers turned up to guard the developers when they started work on Oct 13 last year.

Suresh said he and several residents managed to stop the work from proceeding by standing in the way, but were subsequently arrested and charged with wrongful restraint.

One of the three detained was also slapped with a second charge of criminal intimidation. -- The Star News

Dissatisfied smallholders picket outside PM’s office
Thursday March 15, 2012

PUTRAJAYA: Smallholders from Kea Farm in Cameron Highlands, whose stalls are to be demolished next month, picketed in front of the Prime Minister's office.

About 20 of them stood for two hours here yesterday, asking for a proper alternative site before the stalls are torn down.

They claimed that the new site, some 100m from the current location just after Brinchang, Pahang, did not have basic infrastructure like parking space, water and electricity.

PSM Cameron Highlands secretary Suresh Kumar, who helped organise the protest, said the smallholders were not against the move but were worried that their income would be affected.

He said the smallholders were also seeking temporary occupation licences and low-cost houses on the land they have tilled for at least two generations.

The protesters handed over a letter to an officer from the Prime Minister's office before moving on to Parliament in an attempt to meet Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

There was minimal police presence at the protest which ended peacefully. -- The Star News

No comments: