Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Ramadhan Buka Puasa Time!

It is the start of Ramadhan, and boy, it is that time of the year where a whole lot yummy delicious food stalls are set up everywhere. Just behind my office, as usual there will be this long row of stalls selling all kinds of food from Malay style mixed rice selection, nasi lemak, barbequed chicken, and grilled seafood.

Yes, the ever popular grill seafood guy here is back again! And he remembered me and my wife too! After a one long year of absence, his stall has now been upgraded from the simple giant umbrella shelter to that of a small roof tent! It is a much better shelter than that of a flimsy giant umbrella. Sure it takes a little longer to set up and pack away when the day's activity is over. It makes for a very presentable Hari Raya Buka Puasa stall!

And yes, the sound of sizzling seafood grilling on his hot pan, and the wonderful aroma sure attracts lots of patrons. Me included! If my wife was around, she would certainly 'ta pau' his tilapia fish, giant sotong and ikan pari-pari (stingray). Hey, we are not taking any revenge on the stingray for piercing our beloved Animal Planet Crocodile Dundee guy - Steve Irwin; we Malaysians just love to eat just about anything that's worth eating or allowed!

My wife and I are not the only guys who are fond of his grilled seafood varieties, the long waiting list from patrons standing around for their order to be fulfilled is a tantamount to his great tasting fare. I think it must be his delicious marinating sauce. He applies quite a generous amount on his cooking, sandwiched with banana leaf to give that oo-la-la one of a kind mouth watering taste to his seafood.

And if I pack back the food, my pet cat Casper will be clamoring for a piece of it. He would stare at me and make sad sounding cat meows, and if I ignore him too much, he would jump onto the dining table, resulting in a quick reprimand for his drastic action!

"No, Casper! Down boy!" and of course I will get an earful from my wife about having a cat that just wants his own way and cannot quite be properly trained, and how unhygienic it is for a cat to walk around the dining table where the food is laid and so forth and so on... I think I spoil my pet cat too much! And yes, he will get a few pieces of it and he would gladly munch it all down and having satisfied himself. Will sit around enjoying our company. Sheesh, my cat has it way too easy!

Well, the Ramadhan will go on for a month till the Hari Raya Puasa which falls on the 24th and 25th October. So I will get to savour all the buka puasa delicacy just behind my office for one whole month and yet again!

And as for Cameron Highlands? Well they still have the night market, and they do have lots of food to offer. But you won't be able to find any grill seafood there; perhaps you might want to start one yourself?

Wishing all my Muslim readers and friends a happy Hari Raya Puasa!


See also my last year blog/article:
Buka Puasa Time!

No comments: