Saturday, August 28, 2010

Always lock the car, right?

Always lock the car, right?
Saturday August 28, 2010

Cameron Highlands has always been my favourite place to visit, from when I was a teenager till today, when I have become a mother of two.

On Feb 1 this year, we took the opportunity to go up the hill again. My husband was feeling quite "adventurous" and did not make the room reservations. We left Kuala Lumpur at 6am and stopped in Bidor for breakfast.

From Bidor, we took approximately 1½ hours to reach Tanah Rata. It drizzled all the way. There were so many new hotels, so we made enquiries for rooms. However, they were all fully booked, including my favourite hotel, The Heritage.

Then, we saw Bala Cottage. My husband turned the car in. As it was still raining, he ran down to make enquiries. Later, he signalled for me to join him. The manager, who was at the reception desk, chatted with us. Unexpectedly, my two daughters also alighted to join us.

Shortly after that, my husband said the car engine was still running and that the keys had been locked inside!

It has always been our practice to lock the car even if we get down for a short errand. My husband usually carried a spare key, but not today.

I began scolding my elder girl, when the manager said he knew a locksmith who could help us out. Some 20 minutes later, a Chinese man in his 30s came. He brought with him very basic tools — a wire and face towel. With just a simple action, he unlocked the car.

And his service charge? RM90.

Chew Saw Phaik, Kuala Lumpur

No comments: