Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lesson in keeping the environment clean

Lesson in keeping the environment clean
Thursday April 17, 2008

I MUST thank R.K. IMMS for his letter “Dirty Penang Beach” (The Star, April 15). It's no different with the beaches in Perak.

I learned a lesson some 22 years ago on my extension service to an aboriginal village in Cameron Highlands where we had to track for about three hours one way. While making our way through the thick jungle, we decided to take a rest. We sipped on packet drinks, and after we finished, I flung my packet into the thick jungle.

I thought it was all right but my expatriate friend picked it up and put it in his bag and said nothing. He kept it and disposed of it only when we were back in town.

Littering is easy and convenient. It is a matter of attitude and awareness of the consequences to others and the environment. My question is, how do we educate ourselves to have the kind of mindset of my expatriate friend to the extent of taking your rubbish home even in the middle of a thick jungle?

I believe a signboard with “Take your rubbish home” would remind us and raise public awareness.

The local council may make a start to implement this idea and erect these magic signboards in beaches and public parks.

I was amazed by the upkeep and cleanliness of the Penang Youth Park during my recent visit to Penang. It is of world class standard. I checked the dustbins and could hardly find any rubbish such as plastic bottles and food packaging.

I believe that litter bugs just refrain from dirtying the place because it is so clean.

FRANCIS WONG,
Batu Gajah.

-- The Star

No comments: