Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Apalasamy tries again in Cameron Highlands

Apalasamy tries again in Cameron Highlands
Tuesday March 4, 2008

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Despite losing in four previous battles, state DAP deputy chairman J. Apalasamy is not about to give up and retire from politics.

The party veteran has entered the battlefield for a record fifth time, contesting the same parliamentary seat here in the coming polls.

“The feeling of contesting gets the better of me each time a general election approaches.

“I will not give up my right to contest under a DAP ticket unless and until I am dropped by the party,” he said in an interview.

Apalasamy, 57, is contesting against Barisan Nasional's S.K. Devamany in a straight fight.

In the last election, Devamany defeated him with a 6,260-vote majority.

Apalasamy opined that he had a better chance in the coming polls and was hoping for a surprise.

He said that voters in his constituency were a balanced mix comprising Malays (35%), Chinese (33%), Indians (15%) and others (16%).

“I am hoping for a swing in Chinese voters due to issues such as high price of fertiliser and planting chemicals.

“This is in addition to a rise of between 200% and 300% in TOL (temporary occupation licence) land charges,” he said.

Apalasamy said another factor for his loss in the previous election was that he did not campaign much as the area was big.

“Now, it is a different situation. I have even visited some orang asli settlements to canvas for support.

“I may make inroads and give my opponent a run for his money,” he said.

“I believe it will be a tough battle with both sides having an equal chance of winning.

“My plus point is that I have a service centre which operates round the clock,” he said, adding that although he was born in Sungai Siput, he has resided in the area since 1971. -- The Star


No comments: