Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Choong not standing in Tanah Rata due to health reasons

Choong not standing in Tanah Rata due to health reasons
Wednesday February 27, 2008

TANAH RATA: Newcomer Chai Kok Lim has one thing on his mind – to repay the trust of his boss and win the Tanah Rata seat with a higher majority.

Chai said he was taken by surprise after being informed that he would be nominated to contest in the coming polls.

“I was ready to give my full support to division chief (Choong Ching Yan) to seek re-election. However, due to medical reasons, I was to stand in place of him.

“I will do my very best to serve my constituents if elected to follow the footsteps of my predecessor,” he said in an interview.

Chai will be involved in a three-cornered fight against Go Mong Nging of DAP and independent candidate Ho Yip Kap.

In the last election, Choong, the Cameron Highlands MCA division chief, defeated Go with a 3,903-vote majority.

Choong, who was involved in a road accident last April, was dropped from contesting in the coming polls due to his condition.

Chai, 44, who is also the division Youth chief, said he would meet up with Choong to get his advice on how to serve the voters more effectively.

He joined the MCA in 1982 and has been active in grassroots politics over the past 15 years.

“I am ready to move up the ladder and offer my services to improve the welfare of the people at large.

“As a local boy, I know their problems and will work closely with the authorities to find a solution,” he said, adding that he was also a local councillor and had forged good rapport with the local council.

Of his challengers, Chai said he grew up in Brinchang while Go was from Tringkap and they knew each other well due to the close-knit community. -- The Star News.

No comments: