Thursday, April 13, 2006

Camerons Mudslide Survivor

Mudslide survivor hopes to shake off phobia soon
Thursday April 13, 2006

CAMERON HIGHLANDS: Trader S. Nareshkumar, who escaped unhurt during a mudslide near here, will be staying off the ungazetted Kampung Raja-Pos Slim road until he musters enough courage to use it again.

“I will be using the old road via Tapah for the time being.”

Nareshkumar, 21, said he has always been fearful of landslides whenever he travels on the highway.


Nareshkumar explaining how he escaped unhurt during the mudslide near Cameron Highlands on Tuesday.
Nareshkumar explaining how he escaped unhurt during the mudslide near Cameron Highlands on Tuesday.

“I would always speed past Gunung Pass as I was afraid that the earth would come tumbling down from the steep slopes,” he said.

“I did the same thing on Tuesday but did not expect the mudslide 10km away.”

On Tuesday, Nareshkumar was almost killed when a mudslide at the 13th kilometre of the highway nearly buried his car.

Relating the incident yesterday, Nareshkumar said he stopped his vehicle, which he had taken delivery of just a week ago, when he spotted a boulder on the road.

“I wanted to reverse my car but there was another car blocking my way.”

He said he felt his car moving sideways and dashed out of it immediately because he sensed that a landslide was happening.

“I just ran for my life and thought I was going to die,” he added.

After surviving his worst fear, Nareshkumar, his mother A. Ramayee, 44, father S. Subramaniam, 46, brother Muniandy, 28, and sister Ratha, 24, performed a special prayer at the Subramaniam Temple in Tanah Rata here yesterday.

Source: The Star


No comments: